So Girls Camp has come and gone! July 8-11 was full of a lot of singing, dancing, laughing, eating, hiking, etc.
As much as I was was not thrilled to be called as the YW Camp Director, I have to admit- I had such a good time. The girls in our ward were so much fun and so helpful with whatever I asked of them. Everyone in the ward is now joking that if I'm still around next year that this will be a repeat calling.
Do I blend in with all the other girls in the picture below?? I got mistaken as one of the young women several times a day- I really needed a shirt that said somehting like: Camp Director or I'm the Leader - but the girls did give me the "young woman" award. For both being mistaken as a girl and for being 'one of the girls' It was fun.
Getting ready to leave
Day One: Once we got up to camp and set up we gave all the girls a pair of red scrubs and a headband to wear. The stake theme was Being Examples to the World and each ward picked a country to represent, our ward, obviously was Japan.
After getting settled and eating our lunch the "games" began. We did a mini- olympics games with all the other wards. There was a torch relay, sumo-wrestling, tug-a-war, horse shoes, parachute, and a bunch more games. We dominated the tug-a-war (literally dragged a girl in the dirt- kind of sad, but really funny at the same time)
Needless to say after the games & hiking we retreated to our camp to hang out: these hairy (big) caterpillars were everywhere. The girls named and played with them all the time- it was disgusting
One of the activities we did was make these cute little kimono paper dolls- each girl got to customize it for themselvesDay Two: Certification Day in Levels. The nice part about being camp director was that I got to roam wherever I wanted. So I hiked down to the icky pond with the 3rd levels and their YCL's- because let's be honest Mallory was one of the 3rd level YCL's and she was the most entertaining to hike with. That girl sang Disney songs non-stop. Once I was at the pond, I stayed there so I could watch and take pictures of all the girls (each level came down at one point) because they got to canoe. Here I am doning everyone's sweatshirts- hot, right?!

I kind of cheated because I knew that the 1st levels would be making these fun bracelets (benefit of working a member of the Stake YW Presidency) out of soda pop tabs, so I joined in with them for awhile.

Later that night the Stake did our own version of YW Idol and each ward got a tub with a mystery CD and costumes to perform to. We got NSYNC's Bye Bye Bye. It was a little drama trying to get everyone to help choreograph some steps for us. But we had a good time performing.
Yep, that me- the nerd that didn't remember to put my sunglasses on and have a stern/serious face. I'm a cheeseball.Day Three: A lot of ward time where we made candy sushi, origami and learned how to write Kanji, mixed in with a little Fireside about Women of Worth, presented by the Stake (so good) and service project and at the end of the day we got to go on a zip line. And the night was spiritually filled with amazing talks and music provided by women in the stake.

All in all - it was a fun time! Its definately a totally different experience going a a leader and having to plan and be in charge and keep track of 10+ girls. But Friday night's devotional with the Stake and then our ward testimony meeting made everything totally worth it. It was an experience that will not soon be forgotten.


2 comments:
If you get to go again next year I will have a shirt or something made for you. I had one for HOSA, I was always being mistaken for a student and being sent to my room after curfew. Glad you had fun!!
Looks like fun. Those are really cool bracelets! I'm sure you could go to Redfish...I'm not sure we'll be there next year, though. Brent graduates in April so we may be off to a new job - hopefully!
Post a Comment